I was asked how much power is used by the XL1201. Here are a few data points...
- XL1201 with only SCSI2SD: 222-233W
- Console: 106W
With the XL1201 sitting idle it takes the same amount as calculating
(fib 36), so apparently the CPU is running at a constant speed at all times.
When the console goes into sleep mode (after 20 minutes by default), power usage doesn't appreciably drop.
- Console sleep mode: 105W
With the XL1201 running a 15,000 RPM Seagate Cheetah X15 drive (ST318451LW), it doesn't really take all that much more power.
- XL1201 with 15k drive and SCSI2SD: 238W
- Total: 343W
Where I live, electricity isn't particularly cheap. We have two variable charges:
- Supply: 6.1247¢/kWh
- Delivery: 10.8441¢/kWh
- Sub-total: 16.9688¢/kWh
But there are also a basic fee, plus several taxes and charges so the actual supply and delivery charge only accounts for about 71% of the electric bill. (So, add about 41% to get the total bill.)
- Total: about 24¢/kWh (based upon a bill with 449 kWh used)
- XL1201 operating cost: $0.24 x 0.343 = $0.082/hour
- XL1201 cost per day: about $2